Friday, January 29, 2010

Permanent?

This last Sunday, as we were readying ourselves for church, I was amazed at how quiet our little Abigail was being. For those of you who don't know, a quiet Abigail usually means trouble, but it is nice when I'm busy doing something, like getting ready for church. I went in the office and what do I find, only a little Abigail having a good time. She had 10 or 12 pens out of the pen cup and had created a lovely drawing all over some papers and other objects laying around on the desk, such as the printer. Not to worry though, only one of the pens was a permanent marker, and she only managed to get one black dot on her shirt and some stripes on her hand.

As I head back into the bathroom, I think to myself, "I'm glad that mess is behind us, as usual, Satan is up to his old tricks again of trying to stall us from going to church." Now, as I'm putting the finishing strokes of mascara on my lashes, Abby is playing quietly on the floor next to me. Usually I hold her in one arm, while putting makeup on with the other. For any of you who have ever put on mascara, you know that this is done rather close to the mirror, with all concentration on the brush, because heaven forbid a poke to the eye! Once again, I find myself thinking, "wow, this is so nice that I've been able to get ready without my girl clinging to my legs." As soon as I look down, I notice this strange white powder substance in Abby's hair, wait a minute it's on the floor, and her hand, the scale, all over! It's baby powder! I often put baby powder in my hair on the days I don't wash it, and as I said, she's usually always in the bathroom "helping."

Surprisingly, I didn't learn my lesson the first time, and as I was filing some paperwork in the kitchen on Tuesday, I noticed that it was terribly quiet in the house. Upon arriving in the spare room, once again, I saw my little artist with all of her pens and markers out, but this time drawing on the desk. I took a picture, so you could see how talented she it, but it was taken after I had already removed half of the masterpiece. The green is permanent marker and the black is pen. After doing a bit of research, I found that pencil erasers (you know, the little pink bricks) remove "permanent" marker from wooden furniture. Hooray!

0 comments:

Post a Comment